A LIFE OF STYLE
That Paige Parker brought her brand of Upper East Side glamour to Singapore in 2007, when she moved here from NYC with husband Jim Rogers, is well known in fashion circles – and well reported in the style pages of magazines such as Female, Icon and Harper’s Bazaar.
Known for pulling off high luxe with creative individuality, Paige’s sartorial reputation points to a modern, elegant dress sense all her own. This graduate gemologist from the Gemological Institute of America believes an outfit isn’t complete without the right statement jewellery and accessories, which she carries off with famous aplomb.
The self-professed tiger mum is fiercely involved in bringing up daughters Happy and Bee, and is a prolific writer and tennis enthusiast.
What’s your personal style like?
Classic with a kick – I like to experiment, yet look polished without being overdone.
How has NYC influenced your personal style?
NYC women have extraordinary confidence. They own the look. Doesn’t matter if they’re wearing designer, high street or a mix of both.
What is the one must-have item to channel the NYC style, and how do you wear it?
A leather jacket – Louis Vuitton has made terrific ones of late. Wear it all year long, uptown or downtown, to give an edge to anything predictable. And black is always the new black. Always!
Who do you think are the fashion designers/labels that best represent NYC style, and why?
Diane von Furstenberg – she’s famous for telling women they can be any woman they want to be, and that’s a very New York City story.
CH Carolina Herrera – effortless chic that feels contemporary and modern.
3.1 Phillip Lim – a dynamic, playful brand with understated silhouettes and asymmetrical tailoring.
Which places – cultural, recreational, hotel, retail, F&B – in NYC best capture the city’s style and are always on your itinerary whenever you visit?
I always hit:
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art – I keep a membership there.
2. Zitomer. Described as “a pharmacy on steroids”, it offers a vast range of items, from kids’ toys and clothing to hats, scarves, the best hair accessories and proper brushes, jewellery, cosmetics and vitamins of every sort. Plus, Zitomer staff are unbelievably knowledgeable and attentive.
3. The Grand Tier Restaurant – my go-to restaurant for a pre-curtain meal and intermission dessert if I attend a performance by either the New York City Ballet or the American Ballet Theatre.
4. The Broadway. Last December, I caught Hamilton – which lived up to all the hype – and on my most recent trip, I watched School of Rock, an upbeat, rock-infused story packed with super-talented kids.
5. Nougatine at Jean-Georges – it serves the BEST tuna tartare in the world.
6. Katz’s Delicatessen if I happen to be at the Lower East Side – for its pastrami on rye and Katz’s Ale, a delightful, American-style brown ale brewed by Brooklyn Brewery.
What are your must-have fashion items for Fall/Winter 2016?
1. Embellished silver collar with a studded black bow from Dolce & Gabbana
2. The capelets from Chanel pre-Fall
3. Fendi’s bold straps for handbags – must get one
4. Tom Ford’s fuchsia velvet blazer – I have one on hold at the Tom Ford store at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
5. The black silk-satin halter-neck from Saint Laurent pre-Fall